Cemetery Caretaker, Senior
Landscape Technician, Senior
Open for Recruitment: March 9, 2017 - March 17, 2017
Announcement # 06685068475
Idaho State Veterans Cemetery - Boise
This announcement will be used to fill benefitted seasonal employment working approximately 40 hours per week from April through October of 2017.
This position will operate heavy construction equipment, climb ladders, trees, and roofs; handle casketed remains and urns; work around grieving public on a daily basis; perform duties in a safe and timely manner; ability to deal with disinterred human remains; open grave liners with human remains.
This announcement will be used to fill the current vacancy with Division of Veterans Services in Boise, and possible future vacancies with Division of Veterans Services in Boise, only.
Under the supervision and direction of the Cemetery Foreman:
- Supervise and train permanent and seasonal work crew
- Supervise and train groups of temporary or volunteer workers
- Ensure proper excavation of graves and the setting of headstones
- Read and interpret cemetery gravesite layout maps
- Operate and maintain excavation and grounds keeping equipment
- Schedule work crew time
- Ensure maintenance of landscaping around all structures, interment and memorial areas
- Ensure all grass is mowed and trimmed in accordance with internal policies, that clippings, leaves and other debris are removed and disposed of properly
- Ensure trees and bushes are trimmed or pruned using correct hand and power tools
- Ensure weeding and fertilizing of all landscaped areas, apply pesticides and herbicides when needed or in accordance with established schedules
- Identify and eradicate plant damage and pest/insects beyond common pests
- Ensure efficient operation of all watering systems to include sprinkler or irrigation repair; layout and install new systems if necessary
- Ensure that all asphalt and concrete areas are in good repair, patch and replace as necessary
- Ensure that parking lots, walkways and steps are free of ice and snow, remove using proper means
- Make minor repairs to equipment, buildings and fixtures to include restroom facilities
- Follow and teach safe practices
- Keep records in accordance with State, Federal and departmental policies
- Interpret and comply with state and federal rules and regulations of burial and cemetery maintenance
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Experience in Grounds Maintenance and Landscaping. This is typically met by at least six months of experience working for Idaho State government as a Landscape Technician or Grounds Maintenance Worker; OR at least one year of work experience in landscaping and general grounds maintenance work; OR have completed a vocational training program in landscape gardening or landscape design or a two-year college course in ornamental horticulture or landscape work.
- Must be willing and physically able to lift and carry items weighing approximately 50 lbs, bend, stoop and shovel in all types of weather (with or without reasonable accommodation).
Preferred candidates will have at least 6 months experience operating heavy construction machinery and maintaining cemetery landscapes (see question #3 on the examination).
If interested in applying please visit the job announcement at https://labor.idaho.gov/DHR/ATS/StateJobs/jobannouncement.aspx?announcement_no=06685068475