Applicants may be peacetime or wartime veterans and spouses of eligible veterans, with wartime veterans retaining priority admission status. Applicants must have been discharged honorably (under "other than dishonorable" conditions) and be a bona fide resident of the state of Idaho. In addition, applicants must be unemployable as a result of age, illness, or disability. Effective July 1, 2000, applicants must apply for and become eligible for Medicaid benefits or must pay the established maximum monthly nursing care charge. All Idaho State Veterans Homes are Medicare and Medicaid certified facilities. To be eligible for admission, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants may be peacetime or wartime veterans, and their spouses, with wartime veterans receiving priority admission status. The total service time must be at least 90 days, with an honorable discharge. A copy of the Veteran’s discharge papers (DD-214) must be provided with the application. If the discharge papers are unavailable, a copy can be requested through the Department of Veterans Affairs. We will assist with the request.
- Applicants must be a resident of the State of Idaho at the time of application.
- Applicants must apply for (or already be in receipt of) a VA pension, and Aid and Attendance. We will assist with the pension application
- Applicants must either be eligible and apply for Medicaid benefits, or pay the current maximum monthly charge. Please include with the application a copy of the Veteran’s Medicare card, private insurance cards, Social Security card, and Medicaid card. We welcome applicants who may not yet be Medicaid. approved, and we will assist them with the application process.
- Spouses or widows of veterans (eligible for nursing care only) will need to provide proof of marriage when they apply.
- Veterans may be admitted without regard to their financial status. Currently, we are taking applications at each of our Veterans Homes.