The Idaho Veterans Affairs Commission is an advisory commission consisting of five persons appointed by the Governor of the state of Idaho. All appointees are honorably discharged veterans who have served in an official war or conflict engaged in by the government of the United States. Appointees serve for three year terms and to ensure representation from the entire state no more than two appointees from the same judicial district are selected.
The Idaho Veterans Affairs Commission meets quarterly in January, April, July, and October. In January and July the meetings are conducted at the Idaho Division of Veterans Services Headquarters 351 Collins Road, Boise. The April meeting is held at the Idaho State Veterans Home - Pocatello 1957 Alvin Ricken Drive, Pocatello. The October meeting is conducted at the Idaho State Veterans Home - Lewiston 821 21st Avenue, Lewiston.
The Idaho Veterans Affairs Commission is responsible for the following:
- Advising the division administrator on utilization of funds from the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery Maintenance Fund for the purposes of operating and maintaining the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery (65-107).
- Determining if the Idaho Division of Veterans Services is providing care and financial relief and assistance, under Division rules, as reasonably required by disabled or destitute servicemen and servicewomen and their dependents (65-202).
- Authorizing the Division Administrator to prescribe the qualifications of all personnel on a nonpartisan merit basis in accordance with the Idaho personnel system law for employment of personnel in veterans homes (65-202).
- Assuring that aid or assistance provided to any honorably discharged veteran or his or her dependents is not duplicated in any manner by any other agency or organization and, if such aid is duplicated, then deny rendering of such aid (65-203).
- Advising the Administrator of the Idaho Division of Veterans Services in the adoption of rules and employing such assistants as it may deem advisable (65-204).
- Appointing the Administrator of the Idaho Division of Veterans Services as Executive Secretary, if desired (65-204).
- Certifying to the Idaho State Board of Examiners all sums to be expended by the Commission in carrying out the purposes of Chapter 2, Title 65, Idaho Code (65-205).
- Advising the Division Administrator in the establishment of appropriate admissions criteria for the Idaho State Veterans Homes (66-907).
- Advising the Division Administrator in the establishment of charges for residence in the Idaho State Veterans Homes in those cases where residents have available resources for this purpose (66-907).
- Advising the Division Administrator in the administration of the provisions of Chapter 2, Title 65, Idaho Code, and Chapter 9, Title 66, Idaho Code (67-2601).
- As a part of the Idaho Veterans Recognition Fund Committee, annually preparing a recommendation in the form of an allocation plan to the Governor and the Legislature on how to spend the available funds in the Idaho Veterans Recognition Income Fund. (65-705)